New Canadian Trained Applicant
Any graduate of an approved Canadian dietetic program which includes successful completion of both academic and internship requirements is eligible to apply for registration on the Temporary Register of the College of Dietitians of Alberta. Application types to the Temporary Register are:
- Domestic: applies to any graduate of an accredited Canadian dietetic program that includes successful completion of both academic and internship requirements.
- International: applies to any applicant who is a graduate of a Baccalaureate degree in foods and nutrition and a dietetic internship from an institution outside of Canada.
- Labour Mobility: applies to any applicant who is currently registered in good standing with another Canadian Dietetic Regulator.
For applicants to the Temporary Register who currently hold registration with a Canadian Dietetic Regulator, please refer to the Registered Elsewhere in Canada page for information on application and registration through Labour Mobility.
The College has developed an informative guide on the application and registration process to the Temporary Register of the College of Dietitians of Alberta. We encourage all applicants to review the guide prior to commencing the application process.
Applicants eligible for registration on the Temporary Register must be approved in order to be registered to write the next Canadian Dietetic Registration Examination (CDRE). Applicants may hold temporary registration while waiting to write the registration examination for up to eight weeks following the examination. The temporary registrant will be moved to the General Register upon successful completion of the Canadian Dietetic Registration Examination.
To be eligible for registration, the applicant must first complete an Online Application for Registration to the Temporary Register.
- Do you already have an account with the College? Graduates from the University of Alberta should contact the College office to ensure your online account is enabled, created when accessing the Jurisprudence Learning Module.
- Are you a new applicant to the College? Access https://cdav6.alinityapp.com to create an account with the College in order to complete an application for registration.
- Click here to watch a brief demo video on How to Apply Online to the College (2:18)
In addition to the online application form, applicants will be required to provide application documentation. The College has created a Documents for Submission: Application for Registration (Temporary Register) resource which includes a checklist and summary of the documentation required for a complete application. Click on the bold link to access the guide.
Any fees associated with providing the required documentation to the College office are the responsibility of the applicant.
The length of time it takes for an application to be complete and for an applicant to obtain registration depends on the length of time it takes for an applicant to submit the required documentation. The College recommends applicants begin the application process at least 4-6 weeks prior to the conclusion of their degree/internship. An applicant can start a file with the College office when they are ready to apply and the file will remain open as the applicant submits further documentation.
Once an applicant has successfully completed all of the requirements for registration, and official documentation supporting the completion of requirements has been received in the College office, the applicant is eligible for registration with the College. This process can typically be completed within 1-3 business days upon receipt of all required documentation.
Application Links & Documents
- Link to College Registrant Database (for online application)
- Watch a brief demo video on How to Apply Online to the College (2:18)
- Information on Application for Registration: Temporary Register (Domestic) Guide
- Registration Pathway for New Canadian Trained Applicants
- Documents for Submission: Application for Registration (Temporary Register) Resource
- SterlingBackCheck – MyBackCheck for the College of Dietitians of Alberta