How do I know my Dietitian is Registered?

Registered Dietitians or RDs are regulated health professionals who have met the education and training requirements to be registered with the profession.

The protected titles that each regulated health profession is given in legislation indicate to consumers that the health care provider who uses them is regulated by, and accountable to a college to practice in accordance with the codes and standards established by that college.

The public can recognize a food and nutrition professional who is regulated by the College of Dietitians of Alberta by looking for these protected titles and initials:

  • Registered Dietitian
  • Registered Nutritionist
  • RD
  • Dietitian
  • Nutritionist *

* Some Registered Dietitians refer to themselves as “nutritionists” but not all individuals using the title “Nutritionist” are Registered Dietitians. Effective May 2016, the Alberta government amended Part 10 of the Health Professions Act that added “Nutritionist” as a protected title for use by regulated members of the College. When choosing a nutrition professional with one of the designated titles, you should verify that the individual is registered with the College to ensure you are receiving the highest quality advice from a regulated health care professional.

Protected titles are the consumer’s assurance that they are dealing with professionals who have met the strict standards for registration with the College. Anyone using these titles must be a regulated member of the College and, if not, may be subject to fines for inappropriate use of the titles.

Be aware that anybody may provide nutrition advice. Only Registered Dietitians and Registered Nutritionists are held accountable to the College of Dietitians of Alberta and the public for their quality of service.

The public and employers are invited and encouraged to verify that the individual they are working with is a regulated member of the College of Dietitians of Alberta. To verify that an individual is registered, you may ask to see their practice permit, you may verify their registration online by referring to the Public Register or you may contact the College.